Pages

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Mama never said it would be easy.....

I'm slogging along this week (on vacation) trying to make a dent in the second book. I'm averaging about 1,500 words a day but they're HARD words to come by. I'm finding this book so much harder to write than the first one.

A friend who just finished reading my first book sent me an email this morning. She said "it must have been a lot of work and research" to which I replied, "no, it wasn't hard, and there was no research involved at all". You see, the first book came easy to me because I wrote what I knew, which at the time was high tech companies, paralegal work, stock options, public companies, etc., etc. My job at that time was all of that.

For the second book, I've taken the character into an area that I'm not familiar with at all. So this time, I'm doing lots of research. Thank goodness for the internet -- yesterday, I only got about three paragraphs written and the rest of the time was researching scientific stuff, trying to work my way through the website of the U.S. Patent Office, reading medical journals, etc. It's all incredibly interesting but time consuming.

I guess I just have to stop comparing the last writing experience to this one. So, at 1,500 words a day, I think I might need another 23 full days to finish the book. With no more vacation after this week, that means about 12 weekends, or 3 more months (my, my, my -- hasn't my math improved?).

I'll try not to be too anxious to finish the book to ensure a quality product.........now -- back to the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment